Thursday 5 May 2011

Art is...

Art is an opinion
I’m definitely not the subtlest writer so mine probably shines through - nay blinds you - from time to time. I feel the real fascination lies with the inevitability of it. Art will always progress in some form of another. But an opinion is under the ownership of someone, so here's me.
 *cheesy photo warning*


I have had a little bit of an odd week; but one that's drawn me to a conclusion. 'Art' in the sense that I'm talking about seems to be more of a way of life than an interest, but I don’t think I’m definable by it. Hardly any of the people close to me share this passion and so my art world is a very personal thing. I may have spent years focusing on landscape but I’m ready for a challenge.

I’m setting myself a project!

After my exams I’m going to compose a painting that symbolises me. I’m going to attempt the dreaded self portrait! I think I’m going to need months to sketch and work something out which is why I’m giving myself so long to do this but I want to do it well.
Art to many like Andy Warhol isn’t about some spiritual enlightenment it’s about a personal interest. He stated that being an artist is a job, not unlike any other skill based profession, despite all of its romanticism.

I’m going to embrace the selfishness of art and let the inner child in me come out. I think that I need to just enjoy making something again, and to release all these predetermined rules about aesthetics and form. I’m going to push myself, it could drive me mad but that doesn’t matter because you whoever you are the lucky one on the journey with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment