Monday 2 May 2011

Warhol and Freud


Today I went to my local art gallery where there was an Andy Warhol exhibition. The highlight of which was the filmed interview of Warhol talking about anything and everything. I recently talked about witnessing the space in which an artist creates; however I never realised how much an insight into someone’s personality can change how you look at their work. One of the questions Warhol was asked was “what would you do if you were elected president” and his reply was that he would have all the roads carpeted. I then went back into the exhibition hall and strangely where before I was just struck by the confidence of the piece when I went back in I still had that but a sideline feeling of naivety in the work. This I knew was wrong, but since I have discovered it hasn’t had a lasting impression on how I see the movement; which I uphold as detrimental to our connection and understanding of art today! However whenever I now think of Warhol that line will always bring a smile to my face as it seems to symbolise his work very well; the bold statement about popular culture.
This made me think of the Artist Lucian Freud. I knew that his secretive lifestyle was because he didn’t want people to understand him as this would influence how they saw his work. Indeed the theories of Sigmund Freud would probably be thrust upon his work.
I find it fascinating when art so distant can be drawn together as Freud and Warhol. It’s increased my respect for the choices of artists beyond what they place on the canvas. It confirmed to me that being an artist is more a life style than a profession. Constantly seeking inspiration and knowledge is not something that can be confined to a 9 – 5 day.

No comments:

Post a Comment